Monday, June 15, 2009

god,beleifs and my journey towards knowing the true meaning of life(part 1)


Here in this post of mine I will like to write a commentary on my belief system
and my faith. In the beginning itself I will like to make it very clear that as much my faith is concern I have never held a concrete view point, for me it had always been a flexible affair (at least in my younger days).From time to time my beliefs have been influenced by various factors ranging from parental influence, my own experiences and of course my reading. Since I guess my belief system is something which keeps on changing or rather evolving with richer experiences of life so I will like to run this post continuously in various parts. Here is the first part that basically deals with my beliefs and faiths of my child hood. Being born and brought up into a conservative maithil Brahmin family the faith and belief system of my childhood was highly influenced by general hindu faiths and rituals. I use to go to temples, use to pray in front of idols, use to ask for pardon after committing some mistake and on encountering some trouble use to pray for help from the god. As a kid I loved listening to mythological stories, watching epics like Mahabharata and Ramayana and reading short stories from hindu mythologies. Like every other kid of my age I believed that god resides some where in the sky and he keeps on watching us all. As taught by my family I did believe in the concepts of sin and always tried my level best to abstain my self from wrong doing, the fear was always there( though definitely this concept of fear is the biggest hindrance in a man’s journey towards knowing the truth but with my own experience I can say that it also checks you from doing wrong,to be very frank it was this fear of being punished by god which helped me evolve into a more or less ethical and upright person.)To sum up I will say my childhood was like a normal hindu boy whose mentality was laced with general hindu beliefs .Two of my favorite deities where lord Shiva and mother Durga.My love for lord shiva was due to his simple(but mystical nature) and his maverick attitude and my love for mother durga was an outcome of my upbringing in Bengal where durga puja is celebrated with great effervescence and mirth every year.

But inside this whole music of thoughts sometimes a cacophony of doubt tried to peep outside. The doubt was based on a very logical presumption. What I supposed was that fine I have a belief system and a set of deities whom I believe but the same set of thought is not shared by people of different religions,exp there are muslims and Christian who don’t believe in lord shiva or goddess durga .They have there own belief systems, now dismissing there belief system just on account of the fact that they aren’t in accordance of my view point was strictly a no no for me but at the same stage of time I was not in position to drop my own view points since they were not only close to my heart but some where inside my mind I was also fearful of such a drastic step.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

well said eternal guru.....will love to read your entire journey

Management Guru said...

definitely baccha